[Wylug-discuss] BSI to vote yes to OOXML standard

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 12:57:21 GMT 2008

Phil Driscoll wrote:
> According to
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/26/bsi_vote_yes_ooxml/
> the BSI are likely to approve Microsoft's OOXML format in the upcoming vote at
> ISO. Mike Banahan added the comment below to the Register article. I've just
> fired off my email to BSI. I hope a goodly number of you will be minded to do
> likewise.
> -------------------------
> Gobsmacked
> By Mike Banahan
> Posted Wednesday 26th March 2008 23:28 GMT
> I can't believe this is true. Although my period as a member of IST/41 (the
> BSI panel that is reviewing the fast-track document) was short, there was an
> air of intellectual honesty that gave me some modest pride being a part of
> it.
> I really find it incomprehensible that the BSI panel might have changed its
> recommendation. The draft standard is truly, truly, appalling.
> I will be fascinated to see if the rumor of a 5-1 change of mind is really
> true. If so, there will be a lot of explaining to do.
> And I'd point out to anyone reading this that the panel is only advisory. If
> you feel that they have made a mistake, give the BSI a call on +44 (0)20 8996
> 9001 or email them at cservices at bsi-global.com
> The ICT/-/1 (that's really its name) committee that actually decides the UK
> vote is only advised by IST/41, it doesn't *have* to abide by what they say.
> The BSI is supposed to work on consensus. If enough people call or contact it
> to tell it that it's made a mistake, it is supposed to do something about it.
> If you care, get off your backside and tell them. I have already. Their vote
> is due in on the 29th. You have essentially one day only to influence them.

Phil, I hadn't realised this was happening tomorrow. I was extremely
busy yesterday and only got as far as posting to a few non-WYLUG OS
people I know.

I think it needs a press release. Not too late for webmasters to pick it
up, although I don't hold out much hope for the rest of the media being
able to do anything. I'm happy to do it and to put an article on my own
front page (www.stopwatchweb.net).

Would you, or would anyone else, be prepared to field follow up
questions from journalists and webmasters prepared to do something?

Also, could somebody please reiterate for me the salient points in plain
English of suitable "why nots" to go in a press release. I run the
danger of picking the wrong ones from the many and making it too long. A
press release has to catch the eye and be as simple a possible. I need
to be on with this, I'd think, within the hour and it is now approaching
1pm.

Mike