[Wylug-discuss] What Distro to give away....

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:10:02 UTC 2008

2008/10/12  <robh68 at ntlworld.com>:
>> As for a distro, I'm a little annoyed by the comment that "Ubuntu
>> would be the obvious choice" though I understand the sentiment behind
>> it. As the saying goes, "The path of least resistance is also the
>> worst possible teacher of how to administer Linux". I am a Fedorite at
>> heart though have great respect for the Debian folks and would
>> actually recommend something like Debian, Slackware or Fedora
>
> I couldn't agree less. If new users are to take to Linux, it needs to be made reasonably easy for them. I have just installed Debian for the first time (on my Eee) after several years of using and Ubuntu, and I'm perfectly happy with it. If I was a newbie, though, I'd probably now be pretty discouraged, having been left with just a command-line interface. Installing gdm (and gnome-panel, gnome-session, ...) using apt-get would not be a happy introduction for a newbie.
>
> It's fine to push new users towards one of the hardcore distros if they're doing a "Linux Admin" course. However, without this it would tend to put most of them off (except for those who are already serious geeks). To new users, I'd suggest Ubuntu, or even Knoppix if they just want a taste (great for spreading the joy of *nix).
>
> There are some people who want to learn Linux, but there are many more people who just want to be able to do things with their conputers. I think that there is a point to spreading the good news to this latter group as well.

I'm sure this argument will rage for some time. I learnt with the
command line and even the gui-mad Windows and Mac sysadmins have to
use it from time to time.

Chris commented he was attending a careers evening. I would hope
sixth-formers would by then have some experience of the command prompt
and then the linux shell would not be such a huge leap away.

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com