[Wylug-discuss] MacroMedia Flash and accessibility

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Tue Mar 17 06:05:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 21:20 +0000, Jim Jackson wrote:
> [I know this is not strictly "Linux", but I don't think it's too OT...]
>

> What's the current thinking about Macromedia Flash and accessibility. I've
> done some googling and many accessibility guides I've found are fairly old,
>   > 5years. I understand that Flash is better now than before viz-a-viz
> accessibility.
>
> Reason I'm asking is that an organisation I help out has had someone
> volunteer to do them a new website. The initial new homepage is entirely
> macromedia flash.
>
> In general I'm severely prejudiced against flash, but I want to give them
> considered balanced advice that meets their requirements re.
>
>    - accessibility
>
>    - ability to do future changes/updates to info on the web pages
>
> any comments/advice welcome
>
> cheers
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I'll hold my hand up here too and say I am not a flash fan. :-)

Accessibility has had major improvement mainly due to the now legal
requirements sites must meet with regard accessibility in the UK and
other areas, but most flash folks ignore most accessibility needs and
concentrate on the eye candy.

For fairly up to date info you can look at Adobe Accessibility Resource
Center.

http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/

I do not know what this organisation is you help. However... my initial
concerns with this volunteer totally flash site would be.

1. Developed with proprietary software only maybe the designer has.
2. Only the volunteer designer has the project files at present and may
   hold onto them and cause issues if his or her volunteer spirit
   disappears.
3. Site would be difficult to update and possibly only by the original
   creator.

Regards

Phil