[Wylug-discuss] Got me an fusion-io SSD, want one? Should be screaming fast

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Sat May 16 07:00:58 UTC 2009

On 16 May 2009, at 02:34, Tom Hall wrote:
> If anyone else is interested in making stuff go quick I could drop
> round and do a test with it, see what we get. I should be able to get
> a nice price on them, they claim 120'000 IOPS which is equivalent to
> 600+ harddrives and I think the 80G version is about 3 grand.

Interesting.  However as part of your testing (after doing the other
parts as this is likely to permanently degrade it), could you try
completely filling it, deleting the filler back off again, and then
repeating your performance tests.  The idea of this is to force all
the blocks into use so that you then need to erase blocks before they
can be allocated.  This should put performance into the toilet
(comparatively) unless the firmware/controller is very good at
managing performance.

After your first period (month maybe) the write performance you will
get from an SSD will be strongly biased by the erase performance.

Theres a good article on SSDs at
	http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3531

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.com ]