[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu encrypted install

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:49:03 UTC 2010

On Friday 30 April 2010 12:26:06 Simon Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody tried disk encryption with ubuntu? Our security controller
> at work is talking about whole disk encryption being introduced, but
> as yet no policy has been decided upon. I'm about to reinstall as 10.4
> is available and I'm planning to try it.
>
> Unless of course anybody has stories of horrible performance impacts?
>
> Hardware in question is a 3 year old Dell latitude D630 if relevant.

I don't use Ubuntu, but I assume we are talking about LUKS encryption?  If so,
I've used it on Fedora, and like Shaun I can confirm that I saw no noticeable
performance hit.  The only thing to consider, I think, is that removing LUKS
encryption, if you need to, is not straight-forward.  However, for laptops
that travel, I think it's a good move.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group