[Wylug-discuss] Open Rights Group : Digital Economy Bill - Manchester, 23rd Jan

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Sat Jan 9 03:28:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 23:33 +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> I've just found out that The Open Rights Group are running an event on
> the 23rd of January at Madlab in Manchester to help the campaign against
> the Digital Economy Bill.
> --
>
> The Open Rights Group wants to help you get your voice heard: by helping
> you to talk to your MP. Booking an appointment with your MP and saying
> what you think is easier than you might think.
>
> At this event you will:
>
>     * Gain the confidence to talk and write to your MP
>     * Rehearse talking to your MP one on one
>     * Find out what MPs will ask you
>     * Learn how to write to your MP and get a response
>     * Meet other people campaigning against disconnection without trial
> in the Digital Economy Bill
>
> Talking to your MP is the most effective way to make sure Parliament
> knows how unpopular and bad disconnection without trial really would be.
>
> In these short sessions, you can try out talking to your MP or watch
> someone else having a go, and learn how to get your points across in a
> way that an MP will understand.
>
> To book, please use these form:
>
> http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/how-to-talk-to-your-mp-training-days
>
> ---
>
> See you there!
>
> Tim
>
> P.S. Obviously, if you support the Digital Economy Bill and want
> families to be cut off without trial, you needn't attend. No bad
> feelings! :)

The Digital Economy Bill is a little more than just possible
disconnection without trial for persistent file-sharers. It is far
bigger with regard possible changes to copyright law without going
through Parliament and the Lords etc. I wish people would stop solely
hanging their hat on the disconnection bit. :-/

For those interested in actually finding out about the bill...

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2009-10/digitaleconomy.html

For those who wish to sign the petition against the disconnection
portion...

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

Regards

Phil