[Wylug-discuss] Linux-specific buying advice - system purely for video editing/encoding/rendering

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 18 18:19:27 UTC 2010

On Friday 18 June 2010 19:07:59 Dave Fisher wrote:
> I have many terrabytes of low visual quality but unnecessarily high
> bitrate videos. I want/need to to re-encode them to something a *lot*
> more sensible and I'll need new kit to do it. Some will need editing.

Just as a general guide before anyone else says anything.  I like to shoot
VHS-C video.  Yes, it is out of date and I am going to replace it with HD
video soon.  I was originally trained on 16 m/m film by a BBC producer.

It takes me between 10 hours and 24 hours to render a 30 minute video after
editing with Kino.  Dual AMD64 CPU.  2Gb  of RAM.   Debian or Ubuntu operating
system.  Conversion from one format to another takes a lot less time.  I asked
Robin Rowe [1] how long it takes him to render 30 minutes of Hollywood
blockbuster.  He says six minutes.  But he's using a 500 machine server farm
in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

--
Richard
http://www.sheflug.org.uk