[Wylug-discuss] Linux-specific buying advice - system purely for video editing/encoding/rendering

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Jun 18 20:44:07 UTC 2010

> > Your editing machine is likely to want fast disks, and lots of memory so
> > that you can cache large amounts of the source file as you're moving
> > around. Lots of CPU cores aren't likely to help a lot here. Given your
> > description of the source material I wouldn't expect the graphics card
> > to make a whole lot of difference. Even the most basic graphics card
> > should be more than sufficient for video playback.
>
> I've got several "most basic" graphic cards, and they are all
> incapable of scrolling *quickly* back and forth to edit points.

On modern cards (I'm talking Geforce 8x/Radeon HD3x or later) video decode is
done by dedicated hardware. I'd expect this hardware to be the same on both
low-and high-end cards. Of course if your software (both editor/player and
card driver) doesn't support hardware offload then this hardware is completely
useless. My guess is that video editors might not use hardware offload as they
want to move backwards and forwards, rather than just streaming video to the
screen.

Remember that hardware manufacturers are obliged to prevent you seeing the
output of the video decoder if they want to be part of a certified blue-ray
system.

Paul