[Wylug-discuss] Follow-ups on system purely for video editing + encoding/rendering

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Sat Jun 19 17:43:46 UTC 2010

> So here are my follow-up questions:
>
> 1. Have I read Paul and James correctly? -- i.e. can most transcoding
> probably be handled by a sufficiently poky multi-core CPU?

Yes. It's all a question of how fast you want to do it.

I'd guess a recent CPU should be able to encode moderate resolution video in
approximately realtime - or more likely two streams each at half-realtime.
If you're encoding HD video then obviously it's going to be significantly
slower.

> 2. Does anyone know of something like the Elgato encoder which works
> under Linux?

AFACT these are the only commonly available encode accelerator hardware.
http://tipok.org.ua/node/13 has something approximating an driver.
Beware that the output of these devices may not be great compared to a two-
pass software encoder.

Paul