[Wylug-discuss] Help needed with 'failed' Linux software RAID 10

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 21:31:20 UTC 2010

On 21 June 2010 16:15, Aaron Crane <wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk> wrote:
> Have you thought hard about whether you *really* need to keep several
> terabytes of multimedia files indefinitely?  I'm assuming the majority
> of that is video, because 6TB of audio would be about 20,000 hours,
> even at CD-quality and losslessly compressed, and that's really quite
> a lot.  (How many years of your life would you spend just listening to
> audio you already have?)  I know my life got a lot easier when I
> decided to start deleting almost all video files after watching them
> once.

A thoroughly worthy point, and not one that had escaped me.

As it happens, I've already dumped a couple of TBs of stuff I am sure
that I won't 'need' again (mostly drama, comedy and documentaries).
The vast majority of what remains are cycling road races and this
category of video has a somewhat particular use pattern.

Every year, there are about 90 days worth of 'classic' 1-day races and
'grand tour' stages (each lasting 4-6 hours) ... and watching them is
never a question of just waiting to see who crosses the line first.

In a cycle race, understanding the obstacles and opportunities which
the route poses for riders with different characteristics (physical +
psychological) is a crucial part of the entertainment.  So, before
most big races, I look through previous versions of the race/stage to
remind myself of those obstacles and of the way different individuals
and teams have adapted to them.

With that knowledge, and a well-contested race, every minute of 3-4
hours of TV coverage can be gripping ... knowing that particular moves
at 150 (or 100, or 50, or 5)  kilometers from the end can eliminate a
whole raft of winning scenarios, while introducing new ones. For
example, just 5 minutes of wind or rain on the right stretch of the
course can transform a race for well-placed or well-adapted riders and
teams ... while for the viewer the anticipation is so much greater
when they know all the upcoming places where some dramatic human or
natural intervention could make a difference.

In short, I don't 'need' all those videos, but I do 'want' ready
access to them ... and CDs/DVDs won't 'cut it'.

Dave