[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu encrypted install

mark at aktivix.org mark at aktivix.org
Sun May 2 00:02:02 UTC 2010

Hi Simon,

Quoting "Simon Brown" <simon at cliffestones.demon.co.uk>:
> Has anybody tried disk encryption with ubuntu?

I've been doing this for a couple of years now and it's been working
great. I find that when I do disk-intensive stuff like multi-track
audio there's a slight performance hit, but it's not too bad as long
as you un-throttle your CPU.

The model I'm using is to use a small unencrypted boot partition, with
the rest of the disk going to dm-crypt/LUKS which has an LVM2 setup on
top of it. The advantage of including your swap area in the crypt is
that you can suspend to disk securely.

If you wanted to go one step further and secure your boot partition,
e.g. against Evil Maid type attacks, you could put your boot partition
on a USB memory stick that stays on your person.

Good luck,
Mark