[Wylug-discuss] [Bradford] VOIP Investigations

Alice Kaerast kaerast at qvox.org
Thu May 20 09:44:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 10:24 am, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

>   Imagine my surprise when I found sipgate.co.uk that not only provides a
> working SIP system (albeit with very little documentation, as they're
> aimed
> at having a hardware phone) but provides a free geographical number also.

We've been running Sipgate for a while now, primarily so we can run a
phone line into wherever we have to work if there's no other way -
currently Turkey.  I've not used it extensively enough to be able to give
you a good idea of it's stability or quality, but it's always been there
when we've needed it.

There is one major issue that Sipgate has if you are planning on extending
your system - you can't receive incoming sip calls to the sip address they
give you.  You can only receive incoming pstn calls to the uk phone number
you get.

Switchboardfree certainly sounds useful, though it would be nice if there
were options to integrate with SIP.  I guess we could bring the calls into
a Sipgate number or similar and then into a voip pbx if that became
necessary though.  I'll certainly be looking into this in more detail.

--
Alice Kærast