[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3

Simon Whiteley simon at diesel1.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 21:38:19 UTC 2010

On Thursday 16 September 2010 13:00:01 wylug-discuss-request at wylug.org.uk
wrote:
> The Free Software Foundation Europe started a new campaign this week to
> expose  the frequency with which governments advertise non-Free PDF reader
> software applications [1].
>
> As part of this campaign, we have written a petition [2] which we will
> send along with an explanatory letter to offending institutions, explaining
> why  they should stop these practices and link to Free Software programs
> instead [3].
>
> If you support the campaign, please spread the word about it, and help us
> to  gather as many reports and signatures as we can on the pages linked
> below.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Sam Tuke - Free Software Foundation Europe
>
> 1. http://www.fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/
> 2. http://www.fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/petition.en.html
> 3. http://pdfreaders.org/

This kind of 'commercial product placement' by publicly funded organisations
is fundamentaly wrong.  Unless GNU/Linux and other alternative software is
given the same kind of promotion, particularly when needing to open such
documents, we will further entrech the mindset of 'Microsoft is computers'.

I signed immediately and urge everyone who reads this list to sign and ask
anyone they know to do the same.

All the best,

Simon Whiteley.