[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 17 12:29:27 UTC 2010

On Friday 17 September 2010 12:57:02 Christopher Brown wrote:
> I thought this new PDF reader crusade was a joke the first time I read
> it

> I think you'll find an overwhelming majority of people
> just want to open it and couldn't give two hoots about how they do it.

> Seriously, the FSF people need to spend just one day in the real
> world.

> Ugh. This is just a Gnuisance.

I'm sorry that you don't think that our campaign is not useful or effective.

In our view it has so far been successful. It has raised awareness of Free
Software, Open Standards, available FS PDF readers, and FSFE. It has generated
press coverage in several countries. It has so far attracted nearly 900
reports of infringing institutions, and dramatically increased visits to our
pdfreaders.org website (which educates about FS and FS PDF readers).

Coverage as of Wednesday:

= Media =

English:

- The Register: "FSFE calls on governments to stop pushing Adobe Reader
  Alert Print Post comment Retweet Facebook Free advertising" [7]
- The H Online "FSFE campaigns against governmental PDF reader bias" [8]
- Outlaw: "Free software advocates campaign against links to Adobe's PDF
  reader" [9]

Italian:

- Zeusnews.it: "FSFE e la battaglia contro i lettori proprietari - La
  missione è segnalare i siti governativi che propongono solo software
  proprietario per visualizzare i Pdf." [10]
- GNUvox: "Stop alla pubblicità ingiusta - convinci il tuo governo a
  promuovere lettori liberi di PDF!" [11]

German:

- PDFzone: "FSFE kämpft gegen Adobe Reader Propaganda Freiheit für freie
  PDF-Betrachter" [12]
- Netzpolitik: "Die Jagd hat begonnen: Stoppt unfaire Werbung auf
  Regierungsseiten" [13] (37 flattr, 66 retweets, 53 comments)
- Prolinux: "FSFE fordert Chancengleichheit für freie PDF-Betrachter"
  [14]
- Linux Magazin: "FSFE protestiert gegen Adobe-Reader-Hinweise" [15]
- Golem: "FSFE will Werbung für Adobe Reader & Co stoppen" [16]

Others:

- SG.hu: "A szabad PDF-olvasó szoftverek használatát ösztönözné az FSFE"
  [17]
- dobreprogramy.pl: "Gdy ktoś nie chce przeczytać o czym pisze
  newsa...." [18]

= Blogs =

Italian Planet:
- "Stop alla pubblicità ingiusta - convinci il tuo governo a promuovere
  lettori liberi di PDF!" [1]
- "PDFreaders.org - FSFE's Campaign" [2]

French Planet:
- "Sus aux sites gouvernementaux !!!" [3]

German Planet:
- "Die Jagd hat begonnen: Stoppt unfaire Werbung auf Regierungsseiten"
  [4]

Blogs outside our planets:

- "Freie Alternativen zum Acrobat Reader" [5]
- "FSFE startet Kampagne gegen Adobe’s PDF-Reader Monopol" [6]

Already several institutions have removed their Adobe adverts, and some have
replaced them with links to pdfreaders.org.

> Take a straw poll of people faced with a pdf file they don't have the
> reader for

Most people have PDF readers. Most people do not use FS PDF readers however,
and in our view governments should not advertise proprietary readers.

Our campaigns always involve a lot of planning, most of which is done on
public mailing lists. If you would like to be part of the construction of
future campaigns, and contribute your views to the next campaign before it is
launched, please sign up to lists presented here
http://www.fsfe.org/contribute/.

Thanks,

Sam.

  1. http://www.gnuvox.info/2010/09/stop-alla-pubblicita-ingiusta-convinci-il-
tuo-governo-a-promuovere-lettori-liberi-di-pdf/
  2. http://pmate.nfshost.com/blog/PDF_Readers_FSFE_Campaign/
  3. http://blogs.fsfe.org/maelle/?p=44
  4. http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=645
  5. http://proteus-solutions.blogspot.com/2010/09/viele-seiten-im-internet-
bieten-pdf.html
  6. http://m4rc0p3t3r.radio-gfm.net/2010/09/14/fsfe-startet-kampagne-gegen-
adobes-pdf-reader-monopol/
  7. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/15/fsfe_adobe_pdf_readers/
  8. http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/FSFE-campaigns-against-
governmental-PDF-reader-bias-1080068.html
  9. http://www.out-law.com/page-11371
  10. http://www.zeusnews.it/index.php3?ar=stampa&cod=13008&numero=907
  11. http://www.gnuvox.info/2010/09/stop-alla-pubblicita-ingiusta-convinci-
il-tuo-governo-a-promuovere-lettori-liberi-di-pdf
  12. http://www.pdfzone.de/virthos.php?-pg=205228&-met=vtview&-ses=38580219&-
cod=42e38d805d&-ck=1284388404
  13. http://www.netzpolitik.org/2010/die-jagd-hat-begonnen-stoppt-unfaire-
werbung-auf-regierungsseiten/