[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 66, Issue 4

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 01:37:55 UTC 2010

On 18 September 2010 00:37, Simon Whiteley <simon at diesel1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> As for saying that the average user doesn't want to compile software, this
> just doesn't wash,

Given your other comments, I'm not sure that you intended to say this,
but it is clearly nonsense.

Not only is it self-evident that 'average users' not want to compile
from source, its also likely that most technically capable users would
rather not compile from source if they have a choice.

Who in their right mind would choose the hassle of hand-configured
source code over a well-ordered package managed system, if equivalent
binary packages existed for their distribution? ... only an
actual/potential developer of the package concerned or some one with
way too much time on their hands.

I honestly can't remember the last time I installed a source package
without running it through alien or checkinstall to make it Debian/Apt
compatible.

Dave