[Wylug-discuss] Anything Happening in FLOSS Presentation Software?

John R Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Thu Sep 23 19:51:07 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010 19:31:57 Dave Fisher wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 19:06, John R Hudson <j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com>
wrote:
> > There is a simple command which you can add when using pdflatex which
> > will scale the pdf size (though the images need to have been scaled
> > already to suit that size).
>
> Could you name the command?
in the preamble
\pdfpagewidth=\paperwidth
\pdfpageheight=\paperheight

Otherwise it puts a non-standard size in the middle of a standard size PDF.

> All my drawings are originally in SVG, but I use Inkscape to convert
> them to PDF for Beamer with pdflatex.
>
> They scale beautifully in the screen output, but the Beamer User Guide
> (2007) leads me to believe that that scaling won't be passed to the
> printer without all sorts of gs/nup dicking about.
Assuming you are referring to the 'viewer' output, I've never come across that
but I've not used Beamer.

> I haven't learnt enough Beamer yet to test this, so your comments
> about recent, but as yet undocumented, improvements might apply in
> this case too.
>
> > LyX uses ImageMagick for scaling images and converting them to eps for
> > TeX.
>
> Not sure I want to go down that path, since my images are already
> crisp, super small, vectors.
I agree about ImageMagick; in fact, I forgot that for svg I've used Inkscape
to produce the eps files.

> One really irritating snag I've got is that I can only put underlines
> on text in my images by hand-editing the SVG. The underlines look
> perfect in several SVG viewers, but seem to be completely ignored by
> Inkscape so they never make it into the PDF images I'm using with
> Beamer {sigh}.

Can you add the underlines as objects in Inkscape? Alternatively, Inkscape
offers bold or italic. I have had occasional problems where Inkscape did not
export all the objects to an eps. I never found out the cause but when I redid
part of the image, it suddenly started working fine.

John