[Wylug-discuss] Tweaking resolv.conf with NetworkManager

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Aug 3 21:39:11 UTC 2011

Paul Brook writes:

> > I tried putting the line into /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail --
> > which I believe should be appended to the network-sent resolv.conf, but
> > it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas why?
>
> Works fine for me.
>
> Do you actually have resolvconf installed?

Yes:

  $ aptitude show resolvconf
  Package: resolvconf
  State: installed

> My new-ish ubuntu system didn't.

It was already installed on my laptop before today. I don't remember
when, or why, I installed it, if indeed I did.

> The first line of /etc/resolv.conf should be
> "# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)".  If it instead says "# Generated by NetworkManager"

It does indeed have 'Generated by NetworkManager'.

> then you need to install the resolvconf package and reboot.

I'm sure I've rebooted many times since resolvconf was installed.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2