[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Dec 14 17:11:35 UTC 2011

Christopher McLean writes:

> Hi, I've had a kobo touch for about a month now and I love it. Screen
> is good, battery life is also very impressive. It works happily under
> Linux with Calibre.

Thanks for the testimony.

> * Adobe drm'd books (adobe digital editions) can be used (e.g.
>   from leeds library), but you need windows to activate the device the
>   first time - you need to register your device with adobe first time
>   (I think, haven't bothered a great deal with this)

I take it that means books described on the library's website as being
in 'Adobe EPUB eBook format'?

Do you know where you read this? I'd like to investigate this further,
since there's no point us buying a device if we won't actually be able
to borrow library books on it.

The Kobo has wi-fo connectivity, so I was hoping it would be possible to
register directly from the device itself. Failing that, do you know if
would be possible to register from a public Windows computer in a
library, or does registration require special software that can't be
installed on those computers?

> > obviously we wouldn't want to get one if it has unbearable user
> > interface or performance.
>
> Missed this bit. I can bring mine to the next meet, or just pop into a
> whsmith for a hands on

Thanks for the offer. If I'm coming to January's meeting and still
haven't bought one, I may take you up on it. Though those sorts of
issues often aren't apparent from a quick demo -- reports from satisfied
users are much more useful!

Cheers.

Smylers