[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Christopher McLean C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:29:12 UTC 2011

This is a function of adobe DE DRM, regardless of reader or OS. This explains things:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#how-do-i-use-purchased-epub-books-with-app

| Does using Wine require that I find a copy of Windows files for it to
| leach off? I had a play with Wine about 13 years ago, so my memory may
| be faulty or things may have changed, but I think I had to point it at
| the Windows NT installation I then had on another partition.

As far as I am aware, no. But you will have to accept a MS license as part of the install (for fonts from memory)

| My current computer came with Windows, so I have a licence for it, but
| wiped the entire hard disk with installing Linux and I don't think
| there
| were any Windows installation CDs, so I've been presuming that I
| wouldn't be able to run Wine.

As an aside on this one, most/all laptops sold now are like this; they have a recovery partition and nothing else. But, you do have a legit license, so searching for an XP recovery image/ISO might be of help?

Chris