[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:33:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On 15 December 2011 10:22, A J Cole <ajcole at ajcole.org> wrote:
>> Always a better move to "virtualise" rather than just wipe.  VMware
>> (vCenter) Converter does the job for free!  Particulary useful for
>> heritage systems like XP (and NT).
>
> Virtualisation is not really an option on low-spec intel kit. Maybe on AMD.

You've lost me.  Why would there be an AMD vs Intel difference with when it
was sane to virtualise?

If you've got spare memory you can virtualise.  You can run a Win7 VM happily
in 1.5Gbytes and tolerably in 1Gbyte.  Assuming your linux box can cope with
1Gb then you can use a VM for occassional use on a 2Gbyte machine even if it's
only single core.  You'd be much better off with at least dual core and more
memory, but hey-ho.

jh