[Wylug-discuss] Delurk and how not to use rsyncApa

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Thu Jun 23 15:12:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, John Hodrien wrote:

...snip...
> A tip for whenever you're doing stuff like this however familiar you are with
> it and however confident you are you've not made a mistake:
>
> --dry-run
>
> Let it show you what it's thinking of doing before actually doing it.

Strongly endorse that! Saved me several times.
I've used a mixture of rsync and unison for different stuations, in
an automated "backup"/"sync" regime for many years. Not come across an
rsync bug yet.

The big problem with both is that one gets lost in a twisty maze of
complicated options which aren't always terribly well explained. Option
misuse can often look like a bug, in so far as it doesn't do what you
expected :-)

Nobody seems to have offered up alternatives, apart from the brute force
methods.