[Wylug-discuss] Using vi over SSH over VPN over 3G connection.

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Mar 10 16:04:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 03:45:20PM +0000, David Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a VPN setup like the following:
>
> remote laptop (Ubuntu) running VPN client.
> 3G router connected to the Hutchinson 3G network with PPTP pass through enabled.
> Internet
> Local Draytek Vigor 2820n router acting as VPN server
> Local computer
>
> The VPN connection works fine and I can SSH to my remote laptop
> computer using the DHCP issued IP from my local LAN.
> However when I try and run vi in the terminal window it looks like it
> freezes and I'm not able to do anything apart from kill the terminal
> window and reconnect. vi works fine if I bring the computer to my
> local network and connect locally.
> If I run nano in ssh  this works OK.

Sounds like a strightforward setup.

When vi freezes, does Ctrl-L redraw the screen? Maybe the output is invisible for some reason.

Does vi work if you issue the "reset" command [1] prior to launching it?

Does it work if you run it in a "screen" [2] session?

[1] man 1 reset
[2] man 1 screen

Cheers,

James