[Wylug-discuss] Digital Camera Compatibility

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Tue Mar 29 12:23:39 UTC 2011

> If all else fails/surprises, don't you just withdraw the memory card and
> put it in the card reader?

That's what I do too.  The card filesystem layout is standardised, so good
photo management software will handle this just as well as connecting the
camera via USB.  And other options are limited only by your scripting skills
;-)

I've used 5 or 6 digital cameras of varying ages. None used a standard mini-
usb connector.  Most of my machines have a builtin card reader, so card-
swapping actually involves less additional stuff to carry around/loose!

Most cameras have standardised on SD[HC/xC] cards nowadays. With the possible
exception of CompactFlash on very high-end DSLR, avoid other card formats like
the plague.

Paul