[Wylug-discuss] Digital Camera Compatibility

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 16:46:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I like Olympus cameras, which of course, like Fujifilm, use xD cards.  They
> are no problem whatsoever.  And FWIW, I bought a dedicated xD card reader that
> measures about 3 cm. long and the standard USB-pen-drive width direct from
> Olympus at the cost of £5.  Unbeatable for convenience, IMO.

The cameras might be good, but they made the wrong choice on format.  Both
Fujifilm and Olympus have as ditched xD a year ago and swithed to SD as far as
I'm aware.  xD is a dead format that only goes up to 2Gbyte and is woefully
slow (think up to 10 times slower) compared to modern CompactFlash and SD
cards.

SD has just beaten everyone (bar compactflash) to death.  You don't even
bother with a card reader as your PC/DVD/Blu-Ray/TV/Laptop has an SD reader
inbuilt.  If you do buy one, you can get one for <£1.50 with shipping...

Even CompactFlash is being pushed further and further up towards the pro end
of the range.  I expect that trend to continue.  The less said about Sony
formats the better.

jh