[Wylug-discuss] Digital Camera Compatibility

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 09:47:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Also worthy of note is that the USB SD Card readers you find in Poundland
> are not only capable of reading SDHC cards (High capacity - as I recall
> >2Gb), they are bootable too*!  Handy if you run out of usb sticks to wack a
> >live linux on :-)

The whole SD vs SDHC thing caused some grief for a while, and you can end up
with a pile of cards some of which only work in some of your devices.

SD is <= 4Gbyte
SDHC is 4-32GByte
SDXC is >32Gbyte - 2Tbyte

The silly middle ground is that a device that only supports SD will work with
/some/ 4Gbyte SD cards but not all, and at the time vendors weren't brilliant
about printing which the cards were.  That mistake was avoided with SDXC, as I
don't think you can buy them smaller than 64Gbytes, so there's always a clear
capacity limit for a given device.

jh