[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu and Unity Desktop ... anyone like it?

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Wed Nov 9 16:40:48 UTC 2011

>Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:45:30 +0100
>From: A J Cole <A.J.Cole at ajcole.org>

>>Am I the only one struggling to be productive with the new GUI?
>
>How does this relate to GNOME 3 shipped with Fedora 15 Desktop?  I thought
>Fedora had pulled out of Unity.
>
>I don't at all care for GNOME 3; it didn't help booting it with my KVM
>flatscreen sitting on the floor.  I only noticed the dark on slightly
>lighter "tabs" when I knelt down!

Dave's recent post on window managers remined me of the quick survey I
did last month of the four window managers available with the Fedora 15
and 16 distributions.

Before I posted about GNOME 3 I had done a quick trial of the standard
Fedora 15 Desktop failing to noticed that there were now three other
live versions: the web page broke so perfectly that I had assumed there
was only one live image!  What a bonus virtualisation is - just a quick
download and set all four running yum update - thats the extent of my
survey since I only wanted to see if any header changes would bite me
going to 15 or perhaps even 16.

To Fedora 14 the default (only?) distribution was GNOME 2.3.2 or
earlier versions.  Quite sufficient for my simple needs (see below)
and in my opinion showing some crass designs.

F-15-Destop irritating GNOME 3 and by default a black on white terminal.

F-15-KDE by defauklt a dark grey on black terminal window!

F-15-LXDE laughable password dialogue - almost impossible to discerne
the account/password labels which are barely visible against the
standard background.  What imbecile thought it was a good idea to make
the LXTerminal default to transparent over a darkish background with two
birds (one mechanical) in a tree set against a large moon?  The text in
the stanrad terminal is grey on whatever the window is over!  btw this
default hasn't changed with F-16.

F-15-XFCE grey on black in the default terminal by far the sharpest of
the grey on blacks.

Ok so trivial points but I wonder if we really need this alphabet soup
of window managers.  To throw in another one - I am probably the only
person on this list still using TVTWM on a weekly if not a daily basis!

Andrew