[Wylug-discuss] Recommendation: Linux-compatible Netbook Under GBP 250?

Andrew Lindley andrew at andrewlindley.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 21:43:52 UTC 2011

I have an old Acer Aspire One AOA150 which came with Linpus Linux.  A
friend recently bought the D255E Windows / Android not quite current
model with 8 hours battery life as a consequence of my ownership
experience (you can still get them new from Amazon for ~£200).  He
kept the Windows and put an extra 1GB in to make that usable. He is
more than pleased with it. One of the D255E sub-models is listed as
all-free compatible on h-node.com .

The only problem I have with mine is that once it got just over the 2
year old mark the keyboard started not debouncing well all the
time. I.e. 2 chars for 1 press creeping in if I get a bit too hard on
the keyboard.

In terms of performance mine is faster in day to day use than a
friends HP dual-core Celeron cheapo laptop of the same vintage with
the same Linux distro (no really).  I used to get occasional problems
with it struggling with some big piece of Flash when I used the Adobe
plugin.  Now I am all free I have never had that problem with the
stuff Gnash can handle.  I regularly make use of 2 or 3 workspaces.

It is now 3 years old in Feb and has had almost daily use.  I think I
got good value for my £185.

Leny