[Wylug-discuss] Recommendation: Linux-compatible Netbook Under GBP 250?

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Nov 25 11:11:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 20:35 +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> 1. Bootable via USB --- preferably with dual-bootability

Should be standard, there's not much "strange" about most netbooks.
They're just cut-down laptops. They're (mostly) still regular PC
architecture.

> 2. Basic multi-tasking --- simultaneous multi-tab browsing + text
> editing + ssh without screen-lag

Should be fine, my Dell Mini 10 (last year's model) is fine.

> Otherwise, my highest priorities are:
>
> 1. Ergonomics -- acceptable keyboard and screen
> 2. Adaptability -- connectivity and upgrade-ability, esp usb, memory, ssd

They keyboards can be a bit iffy. I'd suggest going down to PC World and
test driving them, then buying on-line.

Lenovo netbooks, and seem to follow the Thinkpad tradition of decent
quality keyboards: http://rckt.me/yu8t

Hard disks are standard 2.5" SATA drives, in general. Factory supplied
SSD models tend to have the SSD on a Mini PCI-E card instead. You
usually only get 1 RAM slot.

> Nice to have:
>
> 1. Long battery life
> 2. Light to carry
> 3. Small

Battery life is usually OK, but you can often get extended batteries,
even if they're not from the original manufacturer. That would add to
the size and weight though.

> I really don't care about having Linux pre-installed --- Android or
> Windows would probably do.

Most seem to come with Windows 7 now, but dual booting is quite
possible.

James