[Wylug-discuss] Powered USB [WAS: Recommendation: Linux-compatible Netbook Under GBP 250?]

Anne Wilson anne at lydgate.org
Fri Nov 25 14:40:56 UTC 2011

On 11/25/2011 01:05 PM, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> On Friday 25 Nov 2011 12:45:31 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Sorry to be so ignorant, but are many netbooks crippled by the
>> inability to power external usb devices?
>>
>> Or am I being unduly pessimistic?
> My ASUS netbook works fine with a plug in USB DVD/CDROM drive.  Samsung
> should work. I use mine to install a new OS.  I don't bother with USB
> pens or sticks.  Been working with winduhs too much ?

My Acer has 3 usb ports.  One normally sports a dongle, essential for my
(Windows) design software, one is kept spare, and the third has a hub,
which at any time might have pen-drives or a LiteOn DVD reader (doesn't
write, but is wonderfully small and light, so useful), and/or a tablet.
Never had any problems at all.

Anne