[Wylug-discuss] Recommendation: Linux-compatible Netbook Under GBP 250?

Simon Brown lists at 700c.org
Fri Nov 25 17:50:43 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 25, 2011 4:45 PM, "Paul Brook"
<paul at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> A few points that spring to mind:
>
> I'd avoid anything Android based.  These are almost certainly ARM based,
> rather than a conventional x86.  While this isn't a bad thing per-se, it
> does
> mean that you're dealing with random embedded hardware rather than a
> regular
> PC architecture.  Android is nominally a linux kernel underneath but
> usually
> includes significant closed source components so don't expect regular
> linux to
> work on them without a lot of fairly involved hacking.
>
> Aside from that there's very little variation in core netbook hardware.
> They're all Atom based.  CPUs come in three variants:

It's just above price range at £300 but I'm thinking of getting one of
these
http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/gb/en/learn/products/laptops/ideapad/s-series/s205/index.html

It's an AMD e350 based netbook. I haven't done the research yet about
Linux compatibility, but I'm hopeful.

Simon