[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu and Unity Desktop ... anyone like it?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Oct 13 16:44:12 UTC 2011

Christopher McLean writes:

> My hand's up for unity. It takes a little while to get used to, of
> course, but once you stop yearning for a start menu, it just gets out
> of your way and lets you work;

I guess that depends on what you want to do -- how you work, which kinds
of programs you run, and so on.

> you hardly need to use a mouse.

For some tasks, such as editing images with The Gimp, a mouse makes
sense. I find a mouse handy for casual scrolling down long webpages. And
if a mouse is in my hand anyway, then I like to be able to use it for
various desktop tasks anyway, even if I know the keystrokes; being able
to do things either way without switching between mouse and keyboard has
its advantages.

> The windows key is your friend for application launching ...
> shortcuts, like:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-unity-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Thanks. Some of those look useful. It's a shame they aren't more
discoverable.

Though some of them plain don't work for me (on Ubuntu 2D; maybe they
work on the 3D desktop). And most of my irritations with Unity (listed
in a previous message) still apply.

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect