[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Thu Sep 22 12:24:18 UTC 2011

> (Though actually, even that should be possible. Obviously what you say
> is true about open-source software, but the providers could distribute
> pre-compiled closed-source Linux software which handled the DRM. BBC
> IPlayer works fine on Linux like this; you can download TV programmes to
> watch disconnected from the internet, and the software handles the
> rights management such as time limits on viewing.)

You mean using get_iplayer ?

My understanding is that has approximately nothing to do with the BBC, and
mainly works (and/or hasn't been subject to endless legal hassle) because
iplayer doesn't use any actual DRM.  IIRC the live streams require some sort
of authentication but that's relatively trivial to spoof[1] so still works if
you use the right variant of flvstreamer.

Paul

[1] I suspect it amounts to saying "yes" when asked if you're an Adobe Flash
plugin.