[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Sep 22 12:28:28 UTC 2011

Dave Fisher writes:

> On 22 September 2011 12:54, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually that's _worse_ than I'd imagined. The OverDrive page
> > listing supported systems lists various e-book readers so I'd
> > naïvely presumed buying one of those would suffice (and that the
> > separate 'desktop/ laptop' list only applied if wanting to read an
> > e-book on a computer).
>
> Don't panic! I think your original assumption may have been correct.
>
> I forgot to mention OverDrive in the post that you replied to, cos I
> wasn't thinking about Android devices at the time.

Unless all of the compatible devices OverDrive list are Android-based
then surely the point still applies -- it would be possible to buy a
device on their 'supported' list yet find in order for it to work you
need a Windows or Mac computer? http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/

> Still a bit of a problem for those of us who are Android-free.

Sorry if these are a silly questions, but I've only heard of Android
being a mobile phone OS. Are there any e-ink devices which are Android-
based? And does using an Android device mean having to download the
e-books over a mobile phone data connection rather than using wi-fi?

We'd only be interested in buying a device with a one-off purchase where
any downloads go through our existing broadband connection, not
committing ourselves to further data charges. And from what you and
others have said, it's only the e-ink which makes a device a viable
alternative to reading physical books.

Cheers

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect