[Wylug-discuss] BBC via bittorrent? (was:advice on ebook reader or similar...)

Christopher McLean C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 10:19:37 UTC 2011

I'm going to take this off topic(ish), and open an interesting discussion we just had in the office. Based on the premise (which does link it to a Linux discussion, promise!) that downloading BBC shows officially might end for Linux users somewhere in the future.

I'm wondering about the legality of downloading a BBC show from a 3rd party bittorrent site that you would be able to watch legally via the iPlayer..... Surely it'd have to be in breach of some license somewhere (not that I've the time ATM to read through the iplayer license)? But, if support for downloading via the official channel is stopped for a chunk of the public who are normally allowed to do so, would this be a legal/ethical route to take?

Aaaand discuss :)

Chris