[Wylug-discuss] BBC via bittorrent? (was:advice on ebook reader or similar...)

Tim Schofield tim at weberpafrica.com
Fri Sep 23 14:42:03 UTC 2011

On 23 September 2011 11:18, Christopher McLean <C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm going to take this off topic(ish), and open an interesting discussion we just had in the office. Based on the premise (which does link it to a Linux discussion, promise!) that downloading BBC shows officially might end for Linux users somewhere in the future.
>
> I'm wondering about the legality of downloading a BBC show from a 3rd party bittorrent site that you would be able to watch legally via the iPlayer..... Surely it'd have to be in breach of some license somewhere (not that I've the time ATM to read through the iplayer license)? But, if support for downloading via the official channel is stopped for a chunk of the public who are normally allowed to do so, would this be a legal/ethical route to take?
>

> Aaaand discuss :)
>
> Chris

Downloading it would certainly not be legal, but the bbc would be in
breach of its charter by making it available only to owners of certain
computers with an operating system produced by one manufacturer. It
would be like them saying that future bbc programs could only be
viewed on a Sony television.

Tim

--
WebERP Africa Ltd