[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 21:58:02 UTC 2011

On 24 September 2011 22:39, John R Hudson <j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 September 2011 22:27:02 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> The problem isn't the e-readers, it's the PDF format, and it's lack of
>> really quite basic metadata.
> Or is it that people don't use what is there?

I'm no PDF expert, but there's no question that most of what is there,
is not used by authors/publishers ... so, for all practical purposes,
it might as well not exist.

Having not direct evidence to the contrary, I do believe the authors
of converters, when they tell me the PDF format itself lacks semantic
markers for header-footer content ... and that the positional markers
cannot be relied upon as workarounds.

Dave