[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Tue Sep 27 21:12:26 UTC 2011

>I thought I might mention this which popped up when I had a look at
>the Daily Mail site....
>
>http://tinyurl.com/6as4uqv
>
>"  Lighting a fire under iPad: Amazon 'readies launch' of new colour
>Kindle - and it could be the first to make Apple sweat
>By Rob Waugh
>Last updated at 4:09 PM on 27th September 2011
>    New Kindle will be called Fire
>    Android tablet will be 'half the price of iPad 2'
>    Insiders describe it as 'first credible rival' to Apple

More likely to cause RIM problems before Apple (RIM already have serious
problems).  The Reg says this was designed by the same shop which designed
the latest RIM tablet.

	Amazon to kindle Fire tablet tomorrow
	http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/27/amazon_to_unveil_kindle_fire_android_tablet/

But its a tablet and thus only a generic e-reader.  Its not e-ink, there
are colour e-ink displays, one wonders how they manage to sell b&w Kindles
in Japan?  It looks as if this one will perhaps hit the UK about the same
time as the A4 Kindle (not really A4 of course - just A4 in landscape).

btw I purchased a Kindle last week but had no time to really play with
it: it was a present for a 91 year old great aunt who loves it already.
I gave her a HP tablet a few months ago - in retrospect not a good move
on my part.  When you are 91 its not a good idea to wait around for
a proper A4 display nor colour e-ink!

Andrew