[Wylug-discuss] Many Wireless Mice/Keyboards in the same room

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Sep 30 10:55:33 UTC 2011

> So, what about non-bluetooth wireless mice, etc.?
>
> Are their usb dongles tied to a specific mouse, or if I have a roomful
> of Logitech wireless mice, will every student end up driving their
> neighbours' machines?

Short answer is it depends.

Some devices appear to be hardcoded to a their supplied reciever.

Some devices have interchangeable recievers (at least for a subset of devices
from the same manufacturer).  Pairing works in a similar way to bluetooth.
Usually by simultaneously pressing a button on both the device and reciever.
However in my experience this isn't always trouble-free.  Some
devices/recievers automatically enter pairing mode when powered on.  I've seen
device jump between recievers depending which order things were powered up,
and which devices happened to be in range.  In most cases this pairing is
strictly one-one, but I've also seen this get confused and ended up with a
one-many pairing.

This is from experience over many years with large, well known brands
(Microsoft and Logitech).  I don't imagine cheap no-name devices will be much
different.

Paul