[Wylug-discuss] Fwd: Formatting MP3 Player

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 12:34:14 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Fisher <davef at davefisher.co.uk>
Date: 12 April 2012 13:33
Subject: Re: [Wylug-discuss] Formatting MP3 Player
To: Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com>

On 12 April 2012 13:15, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> Shaun Laughey writes:
>> It's called palimpset.
> Yes, of course it is. Obvious really -- why didn't I think of that?!
>
> Moreover, why didn't I find it with apropos disk? Oh, because it doesn't
> have a manual page, that's why -- presumably because having made such an
> easy-to-use tool it's necessary to make it harder to find, so as to
> preserve the Equilibrium of Linux User Hostility, or something?

You've just described my experience of the gnome project's
much-vaunted usability.

Apparently, manpages aren't usable enough to be used.

And literal names are just too generic and confusing to be found by
lovely modern search-driven interfaces, so they're not used either
e.g. palimsest, evince, totem, tomboy, etc, etc

rant over