[Wylug-discuss] Open Source Hardware Camp, 15-16th September, Hebden Bridge.

graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 20:47:33 UTC 2012

Its in walking distance for me so I am giving it a punt.

Grayde Bowen

08/08/2012 15:24
>To: <wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk>
>Subj: [Wylug-
discuss] Open Source Hardware Camp, 15-16th September,	Hebden Bridge.

>Hello,
>
>There's an event happening just down the road in September
which may
>be of interest to WYLUGers, with 10 talks on topics ranging
from
>wearable computing to open source GSM networks and DIY bio, and 4

>hands-on workshops. Full details pasted below (well, almost full —

>still waiting for some details TBC).
>
>Regards,
>
>Andrew
>
>---
>

>// Open Source Hardware Camp 2012
>
>On the 15th September 2012, 09:00
- 16th September 2012, 16:00 at The
>Birchcliffe Centre, Birchcliffe
Road, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire,
>HX7 8DG, UK
>
>— Registration: http://oshcamp2012.eventbrite.co.uk/>
>Open Source
Hardware Camp 2012 will take place place in the north of
>England in
the Pennine town of Hebden Bridge. Building on the success
>of last
year's OSHCamp, it will be a weekend long event with nine
>talks on the
Saturday and four parallel workshops on the Sunday.

>Hebden Bridge is
approximately 1 hour by rail from Leeds and
>Manchester. Budget
accommodation is available at the Hebden Bridge
>Hostel which adjoins
the venue, with discounts available for group
>bookings.
>
>- Practical
Experiences with the Google Android Accessory Development Kit (ADK)

>The ADK is an exciting development platform that makes it possible to

>easily combine Android applications with custom hardware built around

>Arduino. Such combinations have the best of both worlds by enabling

>the creation of a mobile phone application with access to peripheral

>devices that is only limited by your imagination.
>
>This talk will
cover two projects that extend what the phone can do by
>integrating
both input and output devices. And will cover some of the
>dos and
don'ts of using the ADK and associated IDEs. If time permits
>there
will also be a demonstration with a quick run through of the
>code.
>

>Paul Tanner is a consultant, developer and maker in wood, metal,

>plastic, electronics and software. His day job is IT-based business

>improvement for SMEs. By night he turns energy nut, creating tools to

>optimise energy use. Paul graduated in electronics and was responsible

>for hardware and software product development and customer services in

>several product and service start-ups, switching to consulting in

>2000.
>
>If you can't wait to get your hands on the ADK software
browse to
>http://developer.android.com/tools/adk.>
>- The Internet of Things
and Arduino

>As connecting hardware to the network becomes cheaper
and cheaper
>we're seeing the rise of what is being called the Internet
of Things,
>or “IoT” for short.
>
>This talk will give an introduction
to the Internet of Things and
>explain how open hardware platforms such
as Arduino are helping it
>grow. With plenty of examples of IoT
projects, from using sensors to
>map global radiation levels to
bakeries that tweet when the bread is
>fresh out of the oven.
>
>Adrian
McEwen has been connecting odd things to the Internet since the
>mid-
90s. Starting with cash registers, and then as part of the team
>who
were first to put a web browser onto a mobile phone. As the mobile

>phone and set-top box work became more mainstream he dropped down a

>level to Arduino which led to Internet-enabled bubble machines and

>chicken-food silos...
>
>Adrian has been working with Arduino since
2008 — which is when
>Bubblino, the aforementioned bubble machine which
watches twitter, was
>created — and is charge of the Arduino Ethernet
library. He is based
>in Liverpool, where he runs MCQN Ltd, a company
that builds IoT
>devices and products.
>
>- Developing Linux on
Embedded Devices

>This talk will provide an introduction to
developing Linux on embedded
>devices. Firstly we will look at the
capabilities of popular boards
>such as the BeagleBone and the
Raspberry Pi. Then using the example of
>a BeagleBone controller for a
3D printer the talk with explain how to
>develop for an embedded
device. It will consider what comprises an
>embedded Linux software
stack. The talk will discuss boot loaders,
>kernels and root
filesystems. We will discuss what are the minimum
>software packages
required in a root file system. The talk will then
>go on to consider
the tools required to develop for an embedded
>target. It will look at
what tools are available to help the embedded
>developer and speed up
this development process. Once you have
>developed your software you
need to debug it. The talk will look at
>what debugging tools are
available for debugging embedded devices.

>Melanie Rhianna Lewis
started a life long love of electronics as a
>child when her Dad helped
her make a "crystal" radio with an ear
>piece, a coil of wire, a diode
and a radiator! At the same time the
>home computer revolution started
and she would lust after the "build
>your own computers" advertised in
the electronics magazines of the
>time. She never got one but did end
up the proud owner of a BBC Micro.
>Melanie learnt everything she could
about the machine and including
>assembler, operating systems, drivers,
interrupt, and, thanks to the
>circuit diagram in the Advanced User
Guide, digital electronics. After
>the BBC Micro came the Acorn
Archimedes and so started a long
>relationship with ARM processors. In
the 90s Melanie became interested
>in Linux and then developed one of
the first ARM Linux distributions
>running on an Acorn RISC PC. The
hobby became a job and Melanie
>currently works for an embedded device
consultancy near Bradford where
>a lot of her work is still with ARM
processors.

>- Interfacing the Raspberry Pi to the World — Everything
you need to
>know about P1
>
>You've received your Pi, set up a web
server on it and maybe played a
>few rounds of Quake. You're looking
for a new challenge and suddenly
>the header on the corner of the board
catches your eye. A quick Google
>search for "P1 Raspbery Pi" gets you
to the eLinux wiki page on Low
>level peripherals, and you suddenly
realise that you can do all sorts
>of fun stuff by adding extra bits to
your Raspberry Pi using this
>magical expansion port. Where do you
start? Is it safe to connect a
>motor directly to the pins? What sort
of interesting components are
>out there?
>
>In this talk we will look
at the ways we can communicate with the
>outside world using the GPIO
pins on the Raspberry Pi. We will explore
>the mechanical, electrical
and software side of things and talk about
>a few example projects you
can try at home, and the hardware
>limitations will be covered and
workarounds provided.

>Omer Kilic is theoretically still a research
student at the University
>of Kent, although he intends to submit his
thesis (which is about a
>reconfigurable heterogeneous computing
framework) pretty soon. He
>likes tiny computers, things that 'just
work' and beer. He currently
>works for Erlang Solutions in London,
exploring the use of Erlang
>programming language in the Embedded
Systems domain and develops tools
>and support material to help the
adoption of this technology.

>This talk will also serve as an
introduction for the Raspberry Pi
>workshop on the Sunday, where we
will explore the example projects
>covered in more detail.
>
>- Sensing
Wearable Technology

>An introduction to wearable technology that will
include examples
>which incorporate sensors, plus work which makes use
of the LilyPad
>Arduino, an open source, sewable microcontroller.
>

>Rain Ashford creates wearable technology & electronic art, her most

>recent work involves investigating physiological sensing technologies

>and how they can be applied to wearable artworks to measure and

>interpret moods, health and lifestyle data. Rain also creates fun,

>interactive and aesthetically pleasing works that include gaming and

>musical elements. She is keen to demonstrate that electronics,

>components and circuitry doesn't have to be regarded as cold, boring,

>hard and boxy and instead can be fun, colourful and elegant, plus be

>integrated into an overall design of a work.
>
>Rain’s background is
in developing online activities for the BBC as a
>Senior Producer at
BBC Learning and also as Technologist at BBC R&D,
>co-running BBC
Backstage. She currently works as a freelance
>consultant for the Open
University and for Technocamps designing and
>leading workshops in
coding and electronics in the form of wearable
>technology for 11-19
year-olds, plus is a PhD researcher, peering into
>wearable electronics
& art.

>- Running OpenBTS in the Real World
>
>This talk will explore
the OpenBTS project and describe how it uses
>software-defined radio
and open source Internet telephony to create a
>small but complete GSM
mobile phone network.

>Experiences of operating OpenBTS installations
on the Pacific island
>of Niue and at the Burning Man festival in the
Nevada desert will be
>covered, along with how OpenBTS has been
integrated with other systems
>for use in disaster relief. Licensing
permitting there will also be a
>live demonstration.
>
>Tim Panton is a
software engineer with a particular interest in
>projects that blend
web applications and person-to-person speech into
>an integrated user
experience. He has many years hands-on experience
>with the OpenBTS
project, working closely with the core development
>team on numerous
installations.

>Tim is currently working on the Phono.com, Tropo.com
and Rayo.org
>products at VoxeoLabs, producing web developer-friendly
APIs by using
>XMPP protocols to drive innovative telephony
applications that can be
>used anywhere by anyone.
>
>- An Open Source
CTOL UAV Airframe

>A talk by Ed Strike of the OpenRelief project
(awaiting abstract and bio).

>- The 3D Printed Revolution
>
>Over
recent years Open Source 3D printers have quickly developed
>alongside
their commercial counterparts offering affordable and
>accessible
alternatives. This talk will cover experiences using
>commercial
printers and how the speaker's interests have moved to open
>source
designs and how the two compare. Examples will be shown of
>projects
using these technologies, such as "Fable", a clock
>manufactured by
Selective Laser Sintering, and a wrist watch designed
>to be printed on
a RepRap. There will also be a run through of the
>design
considerations and how files were created, fixed and sliced in

>preparation to print on a RepRap.
>
>Mark Gilbert graduated in 2000
from Sheffield Hallam University with a
>degree in Industrial Design
Innovation. After several years working as
>a design engineer, Mark
started working as a freelance industrial
>designer for several
companies in the Northwest. Over the last 6 years
>he has also worked
closely with the Bolton Science and Technology
>Centre as the "Designer
in Residence" where he has developed workshops
>around the centre's 3D
printing and CAD facilities.

>In 2008 Mark set up the design studio
Gilbert13 with his wife Angela
>where they design and develop products
inspired by experimentation
>into digital manufacturing processes, 3D
printing and additive
>manufacturing. Recent projects have taken their
experience from rapid
>prototyping to use 3D printing as a
manufacturing tool that can change
>the way people design, co create
and distribute objects.

>- The Bots are Coming
>
>In the last two
decades we have seen software and data change the
>fabric of economics,
and the advent of personal computing and the
>Internet enable many new
business models. However, the next two
>decades will be even more
radical as that wave of innovation shifts
>from the virtual domain to a
physical manifestation. Atoms are the new
>bits and the open sourcing
and democratisation of bot technology is
>allowing us to enter into an
era of personal production. And this talk
>will explore how 3D printing
and additive manufacturing are
>revolutionising production as we know
it.

>Alan Wood originally trained in systems engineering, got lost in

>software engineering and open source for a decade, before returning

>back to his hardware roots via the open source hardware and makers

>movement that has gathered momentum over the last few years.
>
>-
DIYBIO - The Next Frontier

>DIYBIOMCR is an public group based at
MadLab dedicated to making
>biology an accessible pursuit for citizen
scientists, amateur
>biologists and biological engineers who value
openness and safety.
>This talk will give an overview of the movement,
and what is going on
>at MadLab involving not only biology but also
diverse fields such as
>hardware-hackers, artists, journalists and the
open-source movement.

>Hwa Young Jung is a co-founder and a director
of MadLab, a community
>centre for creative, tech and science based the
Manchester. Over 50
>user groups meet once a month, including
DIYBIOMCR, initially a joint
>funded project with MMU and the Wellcome
Trust.

>** Sunday Workshops
>
>Workshops will be reasonably informal
and shaped by the participants,
>and details are subject to change
depending upon the level of interest
>expressed.
>
>Please feel free to
bring along equipment and components provided that
>you are able to
take full responsibility for your own personal safety
>and that of
others. Common sense should be exercised!

>- Practical IoT
Applications with the Google ADK and Arduino

>Hands on IoT building
sessions that follow on from Saturday's ADK and
>Arduino talks.
>
>-
Interfacing the Raspberry Pi to the World

>- Here you will learn how
to connect a selection of devices to your
>Raspberry Pi utilising the
methods discussed during Saturday's talk.
>We will have a few Raspberry
Pi boards available for the workshop but
>please bring your own if you
were one of the lucky ones to have
>received one.
>
>- Building GSM
Networks with Open Source

>A look at the practical steps involved in
creating a low power GSM
>network using open source technology.
>

>Note: this workshop will be subject to a spectrum licence being
granted.

>- Practical 3D Printing
>
>Details TBC.
>
>Note:
>
>*
Please aim to arrive for 09:00 on the Saturday as the event will
>start
at 09:30 prompt.
>* A light lunch and refreshments will be provided on
the Saturday.

Capital SCF:  http://www.capitalscf.com>        DesignSpark: http://www.designspark.com
>        Cosm:           https://cosm.com>
>                  OSHCamp