[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 00:13:51 UTC 2012

Another vote of general not-badness for the Archos 101it.

I have one and whilst its viewing angle is not as good as say the HP
Touchpad or the Adam that I also have, it is not a bad budget tablet
at all.  I got mine from HMV in-store as they were about £130 just
before xmas.  It also has usb and hdmi if you want to sorta-dock it
and a microsd slot for expandable storage.  It does not charge from
usb, which is frustrating, but the tablets that do "charge" from usb
tend to violate the standards anyway (the hp touchpad charges from a 2
amp 5.7V usb charger, and when plugged into a pc will drain when
reading an ebook, much like a lot of smartphones when using navigate
in a car but I digress)

It does have OpenAOS which is a cut-down linux but tbh if you're a
hacker, it's easy to build up to a full distro - I have installed
ubuntu on my Adam with some success.

I would say though consider looking at which devices have a decent mod
community - check out xda-developers.com and tablet-roms.com for a
feel of what is going on for any device you're looking at, as
improvements in the OS (whether Android or a purer gnu/linux model)
are made fastest with a good dev community.

p.s. I generally have my Adam at Wylug, let me know if you want to
take a look at the Archos as I can easily bring that down too,
complete with OpenAOS as well as the original android and a
cyanogenmod gingerbread rom on there.
--
Martyn