[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Fri Feb 3 15:47:21 UTC 2012

>On 3 February 2012 14:14, Dave Fisher <wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 3 February 2012 14:05, A J Cole <ajcole at ajcole.org> wrote:
>>> I use Ghost (or whatever it is currently called) to retain a restorablw
>>> setup.
>>
>> Also seconded.
>
>Just to be clear, I don't mean the proprietary Ghost, but the much
>better GPL equivalent.

Never tried that.  Have added it to my (giant) TODO list.

I always explain to people who will be 100% Windows users that they
really need to invest in a couple of things over an above the portable
itself viz backup media and Office software.

Unless the free s/w with the drive is adequate the OEM version of Ghost
is quite inexpensive and can be used both for a full restore and regular
incremental backups.  I like to test the rrestore immediatly before
anything irreplaceable is committed to the machine - usually just after
the initial mega Windows Update.

The Office software - do they really need to buy the latest MS dross?
Give O-O a try.

btw I think I noticed that VBox can import from Ghost images (but beware
of driver problems as others have said on this thread).

Andrew