[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

John john at clip-4-win.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 16:27:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 03:25:42PM +0000, Smylers wrote:
> > To do that, shrink the Win7 partition.  Not too painful.
>
> Good to hear. Any clues as to how?

gparted may well do it but I went into Windows Control Panel, chose
Admin Tools then Computer Management then Storage then Disk Management
(ye gods!), then right-clicked on the C: partition and chose Shrink
Volume

It is really annoying about the size it wants to keep (I think due to
the fs layout of certain data but TBH didn't care why).

If a (gnu or other) tool will do it, probbaly just use it.

> > Then install Linux.  It does mean a big chunk of hard drive is doing
> > nothing almost forever but maybe that's OK.
>
> Approximately how big? If in a year or two I'm running out of space and
> decide I don't want Windows, presumably I can reclaim it for Linux?

Yes you can reclaim it.  IIRC it was much bigger than I wanted but I
just stick large occasional files in the free space (I mount the Win7
partition in Linux).  Crude, but I just couldn't be bothered to fight it
and I know I'll change laptops every few years...  (I now do it by
buying yesteryear's laptop, used from ebay, very cheaply.  Works for me.)

John (Skelton)