[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 17:46:23 UTC 2012

On Friday 03 February 2012 17:05:17 Smylers wrote:
> A J Cole writes:
> > > I'm confused! I interpreted your mail as saying that I wouldn't be
> > > able to run the Windows I'll be getting inside a VM anyway,
> > > regardless of the technology used to do it. Did I misunderstand?
> >
> > Very likely you won't for am OEM install.  However VMware Converter run
> > off a CD/stick or installed on the Windows box is a route to converting
> > to VBox (or VMware) with on the fly fixups for drivers etc..
>
> Ah, I see. Thanks.
>
> Following suggestions I'm going to go with a dual boot set-up initially,
> cos that seems like the least hassle that avoids clobbering Windows --
> thereby leaving the option open for later trying VMWare Converter on it.
>
> Thank you everybody.

Going down this route you could of course try both options. Reduce the
footprint and install dual boot. Then try the vmware Converter + VB or
whatever after you've installed your Linux.  If the virtual route doesn't
work, then simply delete it.

If it does work, I'd be interested in your level of success and what is
involved as I may try it myself if you do.

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager