[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

John john at clip-4-win.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 17:48:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:10:25PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> It is presumably possible to install a system installer's OEM DVD
> version of Windows under VMware/KVM/VB, so would this make it more
> 'portable'?

I hope someone who's done it will post.

The last set of OEM disks I had were for Vista (yuck) and on using them
they auto-partitioned with a hidden (to Windows) partition with an OEM
set of files, a C: partition for Vista and IIRC another hidden partition
with the bootstrap and not much else.  Vista itself was then installed
into C: by this stuff (automatically but not quickly).  So, VM/VB would
need to cope with that stuff happening, as well as the non-generic
drivers.  (I installed on the bare machine, not VM.)

> Although I am marginally concerned about the preposterous EULA terms,
> I'm thinking more about the feasibility of reproducing the same
> virtual hardware on different machines.

That p-word is too generous.

John