[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi to run BBC Micro 2

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Feb 17 18:56:47 UTC 2012

> On Friday 17 Feb 2012, Paul Brook wrote:
> > > I'm assuming that the Beeb will be wise enough to prevent their IDE
> > > defaulting to Java.
> >
> > The usual reason for that is because you're using Eclipse.  The hardware
> > they're targeting (raspberry Pi) only has 256Mb ram, which isn't enough
> > to even think about running Eclipse.
>
> I'm pretty sure the plan is to have it running on the raspberry Pi.

Really? I've had some experience with Eclipse and running it on the raspberry
Pi hardware sounds suicital.

> The nostalgic effect will be superb - it will leave the user with the same
> amount of free memory as they had on a BBC  Model B ;)

Well, except that you're not trying to run 30-year old software designed to
run in that space :-)  The original BBC machines were competetive with other
systems available at the time.

This is my main concerns with this project.  While I appreciate the need to
build things to a cost, the end result is pretty under-powered linux bx,
expecially the "A" version which only has 128Mb ram.  This simply isn't enough
for a contemporary general purpose machine.  It's not even enough for a
restricted use machine like a phone or tablet[1].  Anyone who's used a
similarly specced low-end Android phone can probably tell you how unpleasant
that can be.

It seems to be uncomfortably in the middle of really cheap-and-simple
electronics hacking projects like the Arduino (which you can give out like
sweets when bought in volume) but require a real computer to do the
programming, and machines capable of running a full end-user OS like the
beagle and panda.

Paul

[1] Technically Android 2.3 is supposed to work in 128mb.  Android 4 requires
340Mb.