[Wylug-discuss] Debian, GRUB, and crypto

james riley jimr1603 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:52:15 UTC 2012

Afternoon Folks.

I've got a problem with my desktop PC (which I take more risks with
since I do more stuff on the netbook). I /can/ fix the problem with a
full wipe of the system, but there's a little data I'd like to keep.

It was running debian stable, and I wanted to move to debian unstable.
Something went foobar and X wouldn't start after the move. After a bit
more foobar-ing around I've got myself as far back as being stuck at
GRUB.

I've booted from grub before using someone's guide online, but on this
install I let debian handle full disk crypto. Unlike debian-like
systems I've played with, it requires the passphrase to boot, not just
to access /home. I think this is why GRUB is saying that (hd0),
(hd0,msdos1), (hd0,msdos5) are all unknown. Though one of these
(msdos1 from memory, but I'm killing time before a lecture) contains
/lost+found/ and /grub/.

Does anybody know what commands to give GRUB to boot normally in this
situation, and then I'll do the autoconfig for GRUB in debian.

Otherwise, if I put a debian unstable cd into the box, is there a way
for it to keep the crypto filesystem, or at least /home?

Again, if the answer is "no" to both then I can wipe the system and
restore almost everything in /home from the netbook.

Thanks

James R