[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Mon Jun 4 14:07:14 UTC 2012

RaspberryPi ARM board - Anyone been playing with one? I've had one for a
week and just been playing around. Not attached anything USB yet or a
display of any sort. I've got ALSA sound working - it's quality isn't
brilliant but just about ok enough. It's got a fair bit of compute power,
but I'm comparing it to other, older, ARM boards I've got. The SD card
interface appears to be sluggish.

Anybody else using one? Any interesting plans for using it?
I'm going to use one in a sound effects box for my father's model railway,
with switch to choose effects etc. for which I'll be building a busybox
based root filesystem running from a ramdisk, with the various sound effect
files on the SD card.

Also thought about using one as a home server, but it would depend on the
USB harddisk performance. CPU wise it would be more powerfull than my
current VIA based server and use less watts.

cheers
Jim