[Wylug-discuss] Commercial grade PHP applications

Glenn Glidden glenn at glidden.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 09:32:23 UTC 2012

Hello.

Can I ask, as a general discussion, if anyone knows of any commercial
grade PHP applications or better still develops them?

The reason I am asking is that I am looking (purely for personal
development at the moment) at the possibility to create a schools
administration system on a LAMP stack.

I work in a school that is Microsoft Windows based.  Looking at the cost
of the software we use at the moment (c. £12K pa then Microsoft
Server/SQL Server licences on top) made me think what options were there
for a FOSS version.  This is also a single server deployment, so no
redundancy/failover or load balancing which would be an extra software
licencing cost.

(The idea was also prompted by my doing a recent Microsoft Server
version upgrade to see all the memory on a 54GB box and Microsoft
deciding our legitimate licence key wasn't right and knocking it back to
see only 4GB.  Lost my virtualised email servers and remote desktop for
half a day because of that.  I want the control on my servers!)

So, wondering what knowledge and experience is out there for this sort
of thing.  I'm looking at a personal project to develop an admin system
in PHP but considering deployment requirements in the future.  Am I
probably looking at a particular framework, etc.?

Any comments?

Thanks.

Glenn Glidden
<glenn at glidden.org.uk>