[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 3 Review

Tim Schofield tim at weberpafrica.com
Thu Mar 22 08:30:58 UTC 2012

On 21 March 2012 18:17, Simon Brown <lists at 700c.org> wrote:
> At Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:56:15 +0000,
> David Holden wrote:
>
> It looks like the public appetite for tablets and touch based
> interfaces is only going to grow in the near future. It seems to have
> revealed the fact that most people spend much more time consuming than
> they do creating.
>
> I think the Gnome 3, Unity and windows 8 critics are being somewhat
> short sighted. Keyboard users, such as myself, are soon going to find
> themselves as a minority amongst computer users. Perhaps we are
> already. FOSS user interfaces do their development in full public
> view, they're not going to get right first time. If they don't make
> any changes, they'll soon find themselves irrelevant. There may well
> be more touch based phones in use today than there are keyboard driven
> computers.

Looking around the office that I find myself in this morning, I can't
see many jobs that can be done more efficiently by using a touch
screen device, in fact quite the opposite. I think that in an office
environment keyboards will be the dominant input device for many years
to come.

However office users tend to be a conservative bunch. Just getting
people to move from the windows xp interface to Gnome 2 is a major
shift. To Gnome 3 or Unity is just a move too far, IMHO.

Thanks
Tim

--
WebERP Africa Ltd